I found a great piece of information about the effect soda and coke has on the human body today. Here is an excerpt of the science part just in case it ever goes offline.
- First 10 minutes: Over 10 teaspoons of sugar enter your system. (that’s 100% of the FDA recommended daily intake of sugar.) You don’t instantly vomit from the overwhelming sugary sweetness because phosphoric acid in the soda cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
- 20 minutes: Blood sugar begins to spike, causing a shock insulin burst. Your liver responds to this insulin spike by turning any and all sugar it can find into fat.
- 40 minutes: Your body has absorbed all the Caffeine. Your pupils will dilate, your blood pressure rises. As a response your liver dumps even more sugar into your bloodstream. Adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked to prevent drowsiness.
- At 45 minutes your body increases dopamine production, stimulating the pleasure center of your brain.
- After 60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds with calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine. This bonding provides a further boost to your metabolism. You will urinate calcium that was intended for your body.
- A few hours later: Caffeine’s diuretic properties enter the stage. Diuretic means you will need the toilet soon. When you pee, all that bonded calcium your body needed for your bones will be flushed away down the toilet. You will also lose sodium and water. This is essentially the loss of electrolytes your body NEEDED.
- Hours later: The effects of the soda are wearing off. Soon you will have the sugar crash and the desperate hunt for more soda. This hunt will consume your mind, making you irritable and sluggish. Productivity will fall to 0, you may get a migraine.
Fascinating reading and it’s nice to get the real science behind the effects coke has on a human being. I haven’t had soda for over 4 years now, and after reading this I don’t think I ever will again. The article missed the effects acid in the soda has on your teeth and bones, an important distinction. The effects of the soda will last longer if the soda was taken with food, which will slow absorption into the body.
Why I don’t drink soda
Four years ago I stopped drinking soda. At the time I had access to a funded science lab, so I procured some PH strips. PH strips are pieces of paper that tell you on a 14 point scale how acidic or alkali a liquid is. Of course, being a scientist, I started to test everything I could find. Tap water was a perfect 7PH. Coffee was a 6PH. No problem there, then I tried coke and it showed as 1-2PH. The PH strip was bright red. Coke is heavily acidic and I had been putting this 1 to 2PH acid that is SODA into my body every day for years. So I stopped, instantly. As a scientist to continue drinking soda would have been illogical. As a human, drinking soda is just plain stupid.
Soda as a product is actually incredibly evil. It’s a poison that contains tricks like sweeteners to confuse your body into not rejecting it. The only way you will ever drink soda is by tricking your body. Think about that, then vow to never buy or have soda again. It’s literally poison. Literally.
- Install and Find Netbeans PHP on Ubuntu Linux
- Fast LAMP Stack Easy Setup and Install – Ubuntu Desktop Linux
- How much space does OSX Mountain Lion take on a Fresh Install?
- Windows Command Prompt LS Equivalent Dir
- Symbolic Links in Windows for Pointing a Folder to Another Folder on an External Hard Drive or SSD